Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Wither by Lauren DeStefano

Publisher: Simon and Schuster
Age Group: YA
Rating: 5/5
Source: Publisher

Obviously, something went terribly wrong. Genetic mutations have festered, reducing human longevity to twenty-five, even less for most women. To prevent extinction, young girls are kidnapped, mated in polygamous marriages with men eager to procreate. Sixteen-year-old Rhine Ellery, a recent victim of this breeding farm mentality, has vowed to break loose from its fetters; but finding allies and a safe way out is a challenge she can only hope she will survive. A dystopian fantasy series starter with wings.

When I received WITHER, I didn't start it right away. I have no clue why because they book was amazing. In the near future, genetic engineering has made females living to age 20 and males to age 25. Young women are kidnapped and sold to rich men in polygamy acts. Rhine is sold to Linden and there are two other girls there.

When I first heard polygamy, I had a big question mark, but this book had so much more than that. Laure DeStefano writes in such a lyrical way, that I was lost in her writing. If the synopsis doesn't grab you, Lauren's writing will.

Lately, I have been craving dystopian novels. When they first were being published, I wasn't too fond of them, but now I'm dying to get my hands on all dystopian books. This book had so much more the being set in the future. I felt bad for Linden. He was being kept out of the loop by his father and had no clue what was happening to the other girls that weren't chosen to be his brides. They were murdered, but he didn't know that. Jenna died because of his father at age 19. Women die at age 20, not 19.

His first bride died and his baby and his father hides himself in the basement all the time thinking he will find the antidote, but all he's doing is experimenting on everyone in the house. And then there's Gabriel, the house servant, whom Rhine falls for immediatly. I loved Gabriel. He had this sweetness in him that showed he only cared for Rhine.

The ending did leave me on a cliffhanger because even though Gabriel and Rhone are gone, Master Vaughn is after them and will do anything to bring them back and might even kill them for hurting Linden.

I'm dying to read the second book in the series, FEVER. WITHER's cover was absolutly gorgeous and FEVER's cover is up as well and it hasn't let me down. I recommend this book to everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment