Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Juliet Immortal By Stacey Jay

Publisher: Delacorte Press
Age Group: YA
Rating: 3/5
Source: Publisher

"These violent delights have violent ends And in their triumph die, like fire and powder,
Which as they kiss consume."
—Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare


The most tragic love story in history . . .
Juliet Capulet didn't take her own life. She was murdered by the person she trusted most, her new husband, Romeo Montague, a sacrifice made to ensure his own immortality. But what Romeo didn't anticipate was that Juliet would be granted eternity, as well, and would become an agent for the Ambassadors of Light. For 700 years, she's fought Romeo for the souls of true lovers, struggling to preserve romantic love and the lives of the innocent. Until the day she meets someone she's forbidden to love, and Romeo, oh Romeo, will do everything in his power to destroy that love.

I had heard a lot about Stacey Jay, but never really had read any of her books and when I found out she was writing a spin-off of ROMEO AND JULIET, I was excited to read it. I did however, find the book to fall a bit short. It's not that the book was bad. I really enjoyed it, but I guess I'm so used to the original Romeo and Juliet, that it was hard for me to jump into this one and look at the classic in a new way.

I love the cover for this book. Juliet on the rocks does stand out and I have to say, this book was one of the good modern re-tellings of classic novels. This book may seem to be long, but it won't take you long to finish it. Within a day, I read this whole book. Stacey Jay created a paranormal world from a tragic classic which was brilliant.

When I heard there was going to be paranormal elements in this book, I wasn't too sure how Jay was going to pull that off, but she does! I can't wait to read more of Stacey Jay's work and if you want a modern retelling of ROMEO AND JULIET, this book is for you and it won't disappoint.

No comments:

Post a Comment