Sunday, August 14, 2011

Dark Song by Gail Giles

Publisher: Little, Brown and Co.
Age Group: YA
Rating: 4/5
Source: Publisher

Mark said he heard the dark song when he creeped houses. The song the predator's heart sings when it hears the heart of the prey. I heard it now. Mark said it had always been in me. Lurking. Waiting for me to hear.
Ames is not the person she was a few months ago. Her father lost his job, and her family is crumbling apart. Now, all she has is Marc. Marc, who loves her more than anything. Marc, who owns a gun collection. And he'll stop at nothing--even using his guns--to get what he wants. Ames feels her parents have betrayed her with their lies and self-absorption, but is she prepared to make the ultimate betrayal against them?

At first, the book started of a little slow for me. When her father lost her job, I felt bad for her, but I felt worse on the way her mom was acting. Her mom didn't care for her kids at all anymore. Instead of trying to help the family get through the hard time they were going through, to me, she was just making it worse.

It turns out her father did something terribly wrong at work, so now they had to move to Texas. Then, Ames meets Mark. Mark at first was sweet. I liked him and kept wondering to myself how in the world can this guy be mean? But later on in the book, Mark begins getting angry and Ames' little sister realizes that when Mark is angry, it's better to just stay away and not say anything. He also knows Ames' pain and tells her that he can get rid of it because he has a gun.

Now, the book was getting really exciting and I couldn't believe what I was reading. I couldn't believe what Ames was getting herself into. The ending is heart - pounding. I just couldn't stop reading because I was scared. It was like watching a horror movie and not knowing if someone is going to pop out of the closet door or not.

Gail Giles has written a terrifiying story of a family gone off tracks and what happens when everything breaks. DARK SONG is truly an amazing book and I'm looking foreward to reading more of Gail's books in the future.

Also, look at that cover. How gorgeous! Even the cover has the creep factor that will keep you up wondering about this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment