Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Want to Go Private? by Sarah Darer Littman

Publisher: Scholastic Press
Age Group: YA
Rating: 5/5
Source: Publisher

Release Date: August 1, 2011

Abby and Luke chat online. They’ve never met. But they are going to. Soon.
When Abby meets Luke online, she can’t believe her luck. He’s nice. He’s funny. He listens to her and he thinks she’s pretty. He even gets jealous of other guys, which is adorable. Without Luke, Abby’s not sure how she’d make it through her first year of high school. Everyone, including her mom and her best friend, Faith, tells Abby that if she just made more of an effort, she’d be having fun instead of dreading each and every day as if it’s a prison sentence. But there’s nothing fun about being the lowest link in the social food chain.
Abby knows she’s not supposed to chat with random guys online. But Luke isn’t random, and he isn’t a stranger. Best of all, he really loves her. So what if she never goes out with her friends anymore and her grades are slipping? All she needs is Luke. Luke is her secret, and she’s his — it’s perfect that way. So when Luke suggests that they meet each other in person, Abby agrees. And then she’s gone. Missing. Without a trace. And everyone is left to put together the pieces. If they don’t, they’ll never see Abby again...


My interest for this book began with the whole concept of the lonely girl finding love online on a social network and then missing without a trace. We hear about this on the news, but I'd never read a book before about this subject. As I began reading this book, I just wanted to read 100 pages, but I found myself flipping through all the pages and not able to stop.

I wanted to know more about this Luke guy and how he lured Abby in. And when Abby was missing, I wanted to find out what Luke was doing to her and how the FBI were going to find her. I didn't know the answer myself and I kept thinking how they were going to find her, but I had no idea how the author was going to make this happen. As I read along the plot only grew more intense and all I wanted was Abby to be safe.

Littman knows how to grab the reader from the first page and make them read until the end - biting their nails off. This book shows the dangers of internet predators and how one girl who felt as though no one loved her except this guy online, fell into a trap. Abby was a smart girl, but the stress of starting high school got into her and Luke seemed to care.

Overall, if you like a good suspence story, this book is for you. You are going to hate Luke and wonder how Abby fell for it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment