Wednesday, June 1, 2011

The Duff by Kody Keplinger

Publisher: Poppy
Age Group: YA
Rating: 5/5
Source: Publisher

Seventeen-year-old Bianca Piper is cynical and loyal, and she doesn’t think she’s the prettiest of her friends by a long shot. She’s also way too smart to fall for the charms of man-slut and slimy school hottie Wesley Rush. In fact, Bianca hates him. And when he nicknames her “the Duff,” she throws her Coke in his face.
But things aren’t so great at home right now, and Bianca is desperate for a distraction. She ends up kissing Wesley. Worse, she likes it. Eager for escape, Bianca throws herself into a closeted enemies-with-benefits relationship with him.
Until it all goes horribly awry. It turns out Wesley isn’t such a bad listener, and his life is pretty screwed up, too. Suddenly Bianca realizes with absolute horror that she’s falling for the guy she thought she hated more than anyone.


THE DUFF was a book that I had been putting off for a really long time. Every time I would walk by it at the bookstore, I wouldn't pick it up and end up buying other books. When the book arrived in my mailbox, I thought I'd give it a try. And I LOVED it!! This book was amazing. The writing style was perfect. I mean, the language used was a little too much, but my mind was only focused on how amazing this book was.

Once I began reading, I couldn't stop. When I had homework to do, I would finish it up early just to go and read THE DUFF. Now I have to talk baout Wesley. Wesley was a total womanizer, but as Bianca's relationship with him evolved, I felt sympathy for him. He wasn't the person everyone thought he was. He just acted like that because he probably didn't want to feel left out. He probably wouldn't though since he was hot, but it all goes back to what the word Duff actually means - Designated Ugly Fat Friend.

Everyone feels like the Duff at times. You could feel like the Duff of your school. Even though it hurt Bianca, and it would hurt me as well if I was called something like that, she stood up for herself. She didn't let the word get to her too much. And because Bianca was able to tell Wesley to stop when he began with calling her the Duff, she changed him so he no longer would be known as the womanizer of the school, but a very cute boy who didn't sleep with everything that moved.

Overall, THE DUFF was a funny and simply great book. I can't wait to read more of Kody Keplinger's work.

No comments:

Post a Comment