Friday, June 24, 2011

Kate Cann Interview


1. How did you get the idea for POSSESSED?

As with most of my books, it was a case of lots of ideas colliding. I wanted to write about manipulation within a teenage group; I was interested in the idea of how you can know who to trust; and then I got the chance to stay the night in an ancient manor house that became the template for Morton's Keep. Season that with my love of the power of nature, and the old pagan history of England, and I was away!  

2. The publishing business is hard to get into, how was your road to publication?

It was paved with good luck. I photocopied my first book DIVING IN ten times and sent it off to ten different publishers, and sat back with everything crossed! then after about 9 months, someone gave me a call ….  


3. When you're writing, do you listen to music or do you prefer to work in silence?

Definitely silence. I adore silence. I live in the country and I get shirty if anyone makes too much noise and stops me hearing the birds and the wind in the trees. 


4. When did you first realize that you wanted to be a writer?

I've loved writing since I was a child, and as a teenager I kept lurid diaries, but it was when I was working as an editor on teenage books that I was struck with the big-headed thought - I can do this. Then I did.

5. Will there be any more books after the sequel to POSSESSED, CONSUMED?

Not in that series I don't think. It's all pretty satisfactorily resolved at the end of CONSUMED. I'm currently writing a book called WITCH CRAG, set in a bleak dystopian future, about certain women having strong and maybe dangerous powers ….I'm loving it. 


6. What are three things we may not know about you?

I love toads. They rock.

I can get absorbed in my garden for hours on end and honestly think I've only been out there for 10 minutes.

Twilight is my favourite time of day.

My, I do sound like a witch, don't I??  



Thanks so much for this great interview, Kate!
Be sure to check out Kate Cann's books Possessed and Consumed and you can also visit her on her website at katecann.com

No comments:

Post a Comment