Sunday, October 2, 2011

After Obsession by Carrie Jones and Steven Wedel

Publisher: Bloomsbury
Age Group: YA
Rating: 4/5
Source: Publisher

Aimee and Alan have secrets. Both teens have unusual pasts and abilities they prefer to keep hidden. But when they meet each other, in a cold Maine town, they can't stop their secrets from spilling out. Strange things have been happening lately, and they both feel that something-or someone- is haunting them. They're wrong. Despite their unusual history and powers, it's neither Aimee nor Alan who is truly haunted. It's Alan's cousin Courtney who, in a desperate plea to find her missing father, has invited a demon into her life-and into her body. Only together can Aimee and Alan exorcise the ghost. And they have to move quickly, before it devours not just Courtney but everything around her.

I had heard so many great reviews about AFTER OBSESSION that I couldn't wait to dive into it. Right from the beginning, the story captured me. The voice that Jones was writing for her character, Amiee, was captivating and I also loved Wedel's writing in Alan. At times, I couldn't even guess that this book was written by two different people, alternating chapters. Usually, when two authors co-write a book, I've had a heard time switching to another authors writing in a chapter, but not in this one.

I'm so glad that exorcism is becoming big. It's not that I enjoy exorcisms (I have nightmares after watching those movies). It's that the whole YA genre has been taken over by vampires, werewolves, and witches and even though I still enjoy reading about them, exorcisms have their own creep and excitement factor that keeps you at the edge of your seat.

I really liked both of the main characters. Even though Alan was this football guy, he cared for his cousin Courtney and I thought that was cute. I was never too fond of Blake in the story. He has this aura following him saying "I'm jealous of eveyone better than me." He didn't really deserve Aimee and I'm glad Aimee stood up for herself and told him flat out what she felt.

AFTER OBSESSION has become my obsession and I so hope that there will be a sequal following this book. I've never read a book by Carrie Jones or Steven Wedel and after this one, I'll be going to the bookstore and picking up a book from these too. They've created a world that real, yet takes you on a journey that you've never been before and you'll be asking for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment