Sunday, May 8, 2011

Melinda Metz's Story

I was bullied in the sixth grade by two girls, Paula and Yvette (clearly names I've never forgotten). They were always doing things like putting little balls of clay on my seat and saying I pooped. This is nothing compared to the kind of bullying other kids have gone through and are going through. But it was constant. Every day there was something. Ususally multiple somethings. And it hurt. And it wore me down. And it made me feel like there was something deeply wrong with me. My other friends weren't getting bullied. Why was I?

That feeling of something being wrong with me was hard to shake. Even when sixth grade was over. Even when Paula and Yvette were out of my life. All I can say is that being bullied sucks. But it doesn't mean there's something wrong with you, that you deserve it somehow.

I was ashamed of being bullied. I didn't want my parents to talk to the principal. I didn't want to talk to my teacher. I just wanted to curl into a ball until it stopped. Please, if you're being bullied, know that you deserve to ask for help and you deserve to get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment