Monday, March 28, 2011

Deadly Little Secrets by Laurie Faria Stolarz

Publisher: Disney/Hyperion
Age Group: YA
Rating: 4/5
Source:Bought


Some secrets shouldn't be kept...
Up until three months ago, everything in sixteen-year-old Camelia’s life had been fairly ordinary: decent grades; an okay relationship with her parents; and a pretty cool part-time job at the art studio downtown.  But when Ben, the mysterious new guy, starts junior year at her high school, Camelia’s life becomes anything but ordinary.

Rumored to be somehow responsible for his ex-girlfriend’s accidental death, Ben is immediately ostracized by everyone on campus. Except for Camelia. She’s reluctant to believe the rumors, even when her friends try to convince her otherwise.  She’s inexplicably drawn to Ben…and to his touch.  But soon, Camelia is receiving eerie phone calls and strange packages with threatening notes. Ben insists she is in danger, and that he can help—but can he be trusted? She knows he's hiding something... but he's not the only one with a secret.
 
 
I first became familiar with Laurie Faira Stolarz when I read her BLUE IS FOR NIGHTMARES series. That series had everything from mystery to horror to romance. And when I found out she was beginning a new series, I couldn't wait to get my hands on it.
 
DEADLY LITTLE SECRETS is the first book in the series and it starts off with Camelia almost being hit by a car and dying, but that doesn't happen because Ben comes and saves her. He denies that he saved her, but she still insists that he did. Now, I know this sounds a lot like TWILIGHT and while reading it, I did get that deja vu feeling as well, but the book is different than TWILIGHT. Ben has this psychic gift called psychometry that he can see the future to anyone her touches - which is why he refuses to touch Camelia or anyone else. He sences that Camelia is in danger and she herself relaizes that as well and begins worrying about it and the entire time, I was trying to figure out who the murderer was, but I could never find him. Everytime I thought it was someone, it turned out to be someone else.
 
The ending is a total shocker and I was blown away when I read it. This book is a quick read since it about 270 pages long and the font size is quite a bit big. But besides that, it keeps you on the edge of your seat the entire time and you just can't stop reading.
 
I love the cover and the vintage dress the girl is waring and it seems as though she's laying there still or dead (can't figure it out), but that too gives the book a creep factor.

No comments:

Post a Comment